Happy Monday Dawg fans and welcome to today’s Dots.
Saturday’s game reminded me of one of my favorite songs from the late, great bluesman Barbecue Bob: “I Never Said I Was Perfect, I Only Said I Was Better Than You”.
It seemed in the immediate aftermath the talk was on the things the Dawgs didn’t do right in their 33-point blowout win over the Tulsa Golden Hurricane. My opinion: when you have a receiving crew this good, revelations of imperfection appear much more glaring. I remarked at the game how our receivers made so many insanely good catches in week 1 that we were due for some drops. They’re human. It will happen. Hopefully it only happens against opponents equally lesser-than as Tulsa was.
More troubling is the continued lack of reliance on a conventional running game. But I keep hearing OC Ryan Grubb’s name spoken in the same sentence as the word “genius”, and now I wonder - maybe if the shoe fits we won’t need a running game, or a FG kicker, or to punt the ball much. We’ll find out.
- Mike Vorel asks ‘Can UW beat Power Five opponents with a totally unbalanced offense?’ with ”Washington ranks 132nd [out of 133 teams] in rush attempts per game (20.5)”
- Christian Caple has ”The Day After: 13 thoughts on Washington’s 43-10 win over Tulsa”
- Ethan Kilbreath, UW Daily: “UW outmatches Tulsa, coasts to 43-10 victory”
- ICYMI from last week, the Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti talks about adding the Pac-12 schools, not going back to divisions, and using the Flex Protect Model it recently created for conference scheduling. (The Athletic)
Michael Penix Jr. shares his experience fighting back from multiple injuries to continue his football dreams. pic.twitter.com/X9umJqkI5L— Pac-12 Network (@Pac12Network) September 9, 2023
- Safe to say Michigan State football won’t be entirely focused on preparing for the Huskies this week. One of the earliest reports yesterday from the Lansing State Journal:
Mel Tucker has likely coached his last game at Michigan State.— Graham Couch (@Graham_Couch) September 10, 2023
It's a Derby draw in Seattle. pic.twitter.com/VEFr4AhWxr— Washington Women's Soccer (@UW_WSoccer) September 11, 2023
Eleven Huskies earned 2024 Olympic qualification, with seven earning medals at 2023 @WorldRowing Championships.— Washington Rowing (@UW_Rowing) September 10, 2023
Recap: https://t.co/SpPAZT8YwZ#RowingU x #WomenOfWashington x #TheBoysInTheBoat x #WRCHBelgrade pic.twitter.com/JY7BEooH1m