Great leaders inspire greatness in others (‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Season 1 Episode 1)
By giving Coach DeBoer the game ball last weekend, it seems the players think that he is a great leader that helped the players and the team to some great results.
The Game Notes for this weekend’s game against Portland State include some notes from UW’s first game:
- 21 players made their UW college debut
- 2 true freshmen played: Jayvon Parker and Jayvion Green
- 10 different players caught passes in the game
- Before Michael Penix Jr. threw 4 TD’s against Kent State, the last time a UW QB had 4 or more TD passes in a game was when Jacob Eason had 4 against Utah on November 2, 2019. 4 TD passes in a game is tied for 7th in UW single game history.
- 8 players made their first career start for UW: Luciano, Kalepo, Rosengarten, Penix, Taulapapa, Bright, Tuputala, and Perryman
Michael Penix Jr. had the highest grade from PFF for his performance under pressure in the Kent State game.
Highest graded Quarterbacks under pressure from Week 1:— PFF College (@PFF_College) September 6, 2022
Michael Penix Jr: 93.2
Hunter Dekkers: 92.5
Caleb Williams: 92.1 pic.twitter.com/gOLohodiL9
Roger Rosengarten had a great debut as this PFF grading would indicate.
Top-Rated @PFF Tackles— SuperWest Sports (@SuperWestSports) September 6, 2022
86.6—Jarrett Kingston, WSU
80.1—Blake Freeland, BYU
79.8—Walter Rouse, Stanford
77.3—Jacob Spomer, Fresno St
74.3—Myles Hinton, Stanford
72.3—Roger Rosengarten, UW
So did Corey Luciano.
Top-Rated @PFF Centers— SuperWest Sports (@SuperWestSports) September 6, 2022
79.7—Konner Gomness, WSU
73.8—Connor Pay, BYU
67.1—Corey Luciano, UW
66.6—Brett Neilon, USC
66.0—Duke Clemens, UCLA
65.8—Alex Forsyth, Oregon
Two of UW’s receivers also had high grades.
Top-Rated Week 1 @PFF Receivers— SuperWest Sports (@SuperWestSports) September 6, 2022
91.4—Jacob Cowing, Arizona
73.8—Rome Odunze, Washington
70.9—Jalen McMillan, Washington
70.4—Kazmeir Allen, UCLA
70.3—J.Michael Sturdivant, Cal
- Michael Penix Jr. and Asa Turner were nominated for offensive and defensive players of the week in the Pac-12.
- Michael Penix Jr. was also mentioned as one of the top Transfer Portal performances of the week in this article.
- The Seattle Times UW Notebook looks at Michael Penix Jr., Dominque Hampton’s NFL ceiling, and an update on Jordan Perryman’s injury.
- More on Dominique Hampton from Dan Raley.
Two Dawgs with birthdays yesterday.
- Kalen DeBoer mentioned among the top coaching performances of week 1.
- UW sophomore forward Ilijah Paul was the Pac-12 Player of the Week (men’s soccer) and is mentioned as part of College Soccer News’ Men’s Team of the Week.
- UW men’s soccer team beats South Florida 3-0
- Coach Clark recognized for 150 wins as UW men’s soccer coach.
- UW women’s volleyball is set to start tomorrow.