Today marks the first opportunity for the general Husky fan to be able to see the team in person since Kalen DeBoer took over as head coach. The practice begins at 11a at Husky Stadium and is fully open to the public with first come, first served seating. Although unfortunately I somehow think it’s not going to be a full house despite sunny weather...
For those in attendance feel free to share your thoughts throughout the practice in the comments below. I’ll post my own notes right here after the practice concludes.
Next Saturday marks the official Spring Preview although limited numbers at a few key positions will keep it from being a true scrimmage. Go Dawgs!
- Hatchett taking snaps. Kind of a funky snap.
- Murao out wearing a knee brace and a heavy limp.
- Banks catching punts. Looks healthy.
- Prentice practicing snaps. Mele also snapping.
- First group O-line: Fautanu LT, Kalepo LG, Luciano C, Curne RG, Mele RT.
- Dumas in as 1st RB. Empty included putting Dumas out wide.
- Cam Williams at Husky slot blitz.
- TEs and RBs running ball carrier drills.
- Jay’Veon Sunday with a long touchdown during the first scrimmage session.
- Roger Rosengarten consistently using right hand stance in drills. Might indicate utilization.
- Troy Fautanu consistently using left hand stance in drills.
- Lots of mesh drills handoff drills with QB and RB out of pistol.
- Berry, Sunday, Adams, and Dumas only RBs practicing.
- Second group O-line: Buelow LT, Memmelaar LG, Hatchett C, Bainivalu RG, Rosengarten RT.
- Husky position rotates back into deep safety sometimes. Needs to be very versatile.
- Field edge goes hand down with TE on his side. Inside shade.
- Curne still taking some snaps at RT.
- Coach Shephard is absolutely electric in person.
- Huard is still clear #3. Not synced up with WRs.
- Penix looked good and was more consistent underneath and with ball placement.
- Downfield passing game is all off. Can’t tell if it’s because of the pass protection rules in the scrimmage.
- Defense is playing downhill much more aggressively than last year. Needs work on gap integrity against wide runs.
- Peihopa running frequently with the 1’s. Covington/Powell at CB with Perryman out. Turner and Cook at safety. Tuputala also with the 1’s.
- Base high 2 shell on all plays but a lot of movement from the safeties.