Happy Monday Dawg fans, and welcome to today’s Dots.
Saturday’s scrimmage was the last public spectacle of Husky football before the closed-door, two-week run up to the start of the season.
- From The Athletic, Christian Caple’s 15 thoughts on the scrimmage are here, as well as this quote by Jimmy Lake on OL Julius Buelow “He’s playing (with) that nasty physicalness that we want from everybody on our team, but especially our offensive line.”
- Seattle Times’ Mike Vorel reviews the scrimmage, saying “wide receiver Taj Davis dominated UW’s defense” and “seemed occasionally un-coverable” on his way to 12 catches for 183 yards.
- Lauren Smith from The News Tribune has her 10 takeaways from Saturday.
- Jimmy Lake held a presser after the scrimmage - 33 minute video is here:
"Big shoutout to the fans coming for fan fest. We need you Husky Nation for ALL seven home games." - @CoachLakeUDUB— Washington Football (@UW_Football) August 22, 2021
Watch today's press conference
» https://t.co/uDlNywDqO4#BowDown x #PurpleReign pic.twitter.com/9iKCcxQkqL
- Now with Saturday’s scrimmage, we’re really just talking ‘bout practice here. But WR is a position of uncertainty, with unproven youth, a bevy of recent departures, and an injury to projected starter Jalen McMillan. Taj Davis’ return with gusto is encouraging, especially after his absence during the Covid-shaped 2020 season.
Taj Davis is back with the Huskies. Admittedly, he's no relation to Cam. Yet in the heat of the battle, everyone considers him a brother.https://t.co/DWYuqPYWc1— Washington Huskies on SI (@HuskyMaven) August 22, 2021
- The Dawgman crew also discussed what they saw at Saturday’s scrimmage in this 43min podcast.
- Husky Maven ranks the Husky safeties:
Two jobs. Six candidates. Two weeks to sort this out. We rank the Husky safeties. https://t.co/A1S6h0S06G— Washington Huskies on SI (@HuskyMaven) August 21, 2021
- From Friday, The Athletic held a Pac-12 2021 preview roundtable, with one opinion that ZTF could STILL be the defensive player of the year.
- “NCAA officials are moving closer to an immediate expansion of the annual 25-person signing limit as a way for coaches to replace players they’ve lost to the burgeoning transfer portal.”
News: The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC are expected to make a formal announcement about their alignment soon, perhaps as early as next week, multiple sources told @TheAthletic.— Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) August 20, 2021
This isn't just about scheduling. More: https://t.co/OyBicG7uiv
Hey man, whatever you say, I'm not looking for any trouble here. https://t.co/nTZuUdcSb5 pic.twitter.com/SKfviVh5iU— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) August 21, 2021
- Jake Browning and Jacob Eason squared off on Saturday as the Colts and Vikings met in an NFL preseason matchup. Eason came out ahead of Browning in this battle of the two Jakes.
Myles Gaskin had another strong performance with 10 touches for 71 yards and 2 touchdowns— WestCoastCFB (@WestCoastCFB) August 22, 2021
Elijah Molden has been excellent tonight and looks like a guy who is in full command of the defense already. Maybe the lesson is just draft Washington defenders.— Mike Herndon (@MikeMiracles) August 22, 2021
This kid (Joe Tryon) is an absolute monster. pic.twitter.com/I1nGdjzjdq— Main Team (@MainTeamSports) August 22, 2021
- This one’s a bummer:
#Seahawks LB Ben Burr-Kirven suffered a torn ACL on Saturday night, source said following the MRI. The former fifth-round pick had worked with the starters and was impressing at camp, emerging as a key player. Now, done for the season.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 23, 2021
Here’s to a speedy recovery for BBK, and Go Dawgs!!