Happy little Friday Husky Fans!
If you’re like me, grab that 3rd cup of coffee and let’s dive into the dots.
- With the Pac-12’s media day and the greater CFB realignment chatter drowning out Husky-centric news, it’d be pretty easy to miss the surprisingly frank interview Coach Lake had this week on 950 KJR. Quite the intriguing quotes on the WRs...
Jimmy Lake on UW WR's: "Our WR position has needed to be upgraded for years. We did that through the portal."— Dave “Softy” Mahler (@Softykjr) July 28, 2021
More from Lake on UW WR's: "I believe our receivers over the years have held us back from winning those NY 6 games. Doesn't just fall on them, but that position has to be better."— Dave “Softy” Mahler (@Softykjr) July 28, 2021
- Its pretty telling when a HC makes as blunt and critical of a statement as that. While it can be debated how much the WRs affected the outcome of those NY6 games, what’s clear is that Lake’s raised the expectations of Junior Adams’ rebuilding of the position. My main takeaway was from the first quote and that Lake views our portal acquisitions as an upgrade at WR. Could it be possible that the turnover at the position was at least a partially calculated roster move rather than a reaction to the departures? And is it possible that we all misinterpreted the departures as an indictment of Donovan’s offense rather than a realization of where certain certain guys stood on the depth chart? Listen to the full interview and decide for yourself.
From Huskies Head Coach Jimmy Lake, to Washington's Athletic Director Jen Cohen, Pac-12 players and coaches, plus the new Commissioner George Kliavkoff, Softy and Dick's show at Pac-12 Media Day on Tuesday was packed! Listen to all the interviews here! https://t.co/tNtIkUh8Xv— 950 KJR (@SportsRadioKJR) July 28, 2021
- Christian Caple of The Athletic ($) had a great recap and summary of his takeaways from the KJR interview, Pac-12 media day, and all things Husky related that’s come out over the last week.
The most interesting things I saw and heard from Washington’s reps at Pac-12 media day.https://t.co/pnCxNYKUPi— Christian Caple (@ChristianCaple) July 28, 2021
- Circling back to the on-going Big 12 drama, Pete Thamel broke news yesterday of damning allegations against ESPN regarding potential collusion with Texas, Oklahoma, the SEC, and the AAC to void their TV contract with the Big 12 and Texas & Oklahoma’s conference departure fee via the dissolution of the conference.
or any NCAA conference regarding the Big 12 conference's members, possible conference realignment or potential financial incentive or outcomes related to possible conference realignment." More soon on @YahooSports https://t.co/HHRW1ZXTPm— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) July 28, 2021
.@SINow has obtained the cease and desist letter that the Big 12 sent to ESPN.— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) July 28, 2021
In it, commissioner Bob Bowlsby says that ESPN has reached out to at least one of the eight remaining Big 12 members in an attempt to convince the school to leave in wake of the Texas and OU exit. pic.twitter.com/j50gEBPWBY
- What does any of these new Big 12 developments have to do with UW? Well its widely known that UW has not been in the good graces of ESPN, and in fact we’ve largely been dismissed by the media giant. Given the allegations that ESPN is orchestrating potential league-ending realignment moves despite being an active media partner of the league, Kliavkoff would be wise to tread carefully with ESPN.
And you thought UW had issues with ESPN. https://t.co/woEw3CLfDS— Christian Caple (@ChristianCaple) July 28, 2021
- On the recruiting front, we’ve extended a new ‘22 offer to TJ Hall Jr. (DB/ATH, 6-2, 175) out of Fresno, CA. Hall has been offered as a DB, but he’s shown to be a good athlete seeing time at QB and as a returner. He’s got great length that we seek in our DBs, and he’s a pretty fluid natural mover. It’ll be interesting how this recruitment plays out as this is an offer pretty late in the ‘22 cycle (likely in response to more recent DB recruiting developments), and Hall is currently committed to Arizona.
A.G.T.G! After a great Conversation with @CoachLakeUDUB , I am Blessed to say I have received a Scholarship Offer to DBU, the University of Washington! #GoDawgs @CoachWillHarris @CoachTB02 @ColinLockett15 @UW_Football @SJM_Athletics @SJMgridiron @BrandonHuffman @adamgorney pic.twitter.com/34A6o1MSqe— Tj Hall jr (@TjHalljr1) July 29, 2021
Bonus Dots for your Thursday:
- Bow Down to Washington ranked their Top 5 Husky Stadium Home Games over the last 100 years and I’m sure most of us have either attended or watched at least one of these live. I for one was at the #4 game, and I can’t wait to be back this fall.