Happy Monday Husky fans!
Lots of sports & stuff happened this weekend. There was a lot to get excited about as a UW fan, West Coast sports fan, and especially basketball fan, and one piece of somber news. Let’s get into the dots.
- Well you look at that. We’re already starting up Spring Practice this week, and I can feel the energy in the air. From what it looks like, that energy might be even more electric than we thought.
April 2, 2021
- ICYMI, late breaking last Friday was also the not-unexpected announcements that Marquis Spiker and Austin Osborne were entering the transfer portal. Both 2018 WR recruits had yet to find their footing in the offensive rotation, and it had seemed like the younger WRs had passed them on the depth chart. They join friend of UWDP Ty Jones, Jordan Chin, and Puka Nacua as WRs in the transfer portal this offseason.
Huskies have seven scholarship WRs on the roster for 2021, and six available this spring — Bynum, Odunze, McMillan, Racanelli, Polk and Davis. 2021 signee Jabez Tinae joins this summer. Could be a busy few months on the ol' portal.— Christian Caple (@ChristianCaple) April 2, 2021
(s/o @biggeazy206 for the copy edit!)
April 2, 2021
April 2, 2021
Washington Receivers Spiker, Osborne Enter Transfer Portal https://t.co/pP2Wv8z9Ck pic.twitter.com/MRl29OLbPl— UW Dawg Pound (@UWonSBN) April 2, 2021
Washington wide receivers Austin Osborne, Marquis Spiker are transferring: 15 thoughts.https://t.co/jN6UHC3RxY— Christian Caple (@ChristianCaple) April 2, 2021
- Another weekend in the books, and another weekend without Husky basketball to watch, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t some fantastic basketball to watch. In a showdown between Pac-12 rep UCLA and Washington rep Gonzaga, I didn’t really have a horse in this race, but it was some great basketball to watch nonetheless.
- It wasn’t just in the Men’s Basketball tourney that we saw a West Coast showdown. Stanford and Arizona’s Women’s Basketball teams faced off in the finals of the Women’s tourney in an all Pac-12 showdown. Bill Walton was onto something... Conference of Champions anyone?
#GoStanford pic.twitter.com/h08aAU0s3y— Stanford Women’s Basketball (@StanfordWBB) April 5, 2021
Elsewhere Around the Athletic Dept:
- Huge congratulations are in order for our UW Volleyball team in winning the out-right Pac-12 Championship over the weekend and earning the #6 seed in the NCAA Tournament!
Washington Captures 2020-21 Pac-12 Championship— Washington Volleyball (@UWVolleyball) April 4, 2021
Recap: https://t.co/10il4FPrzb#PointHuskies x #Pac12Champs pic.twitter.com/JaclPvhb9E
NO. 6️⃣ NATIONAL SEED— NCAA Women's Volleyball (@NCAAVolleyball) April 4, 2021
Washington finishes off the four-game sweep of Cal with today's win.— Washington Softball (@UWSoftball) April 3, 2021
FINAL | Goals from Teves (24', pen) and Meek (59') lead the Huskies to a come-from-behind win over California.— Washington Men's Soccer (@UW_MSoccer) April 3, 2021
UW 2#GoHuskies pic.twitter.com/i7hdz27nY3
We are sad to hear that Dubs, the retired mascot of the @UW, passed away today and has gone to DaWg heaven Dubs retired from his mascot duties during the 2018 football season #RIPDubs #KOMONews pic.twitter.com/ZSRT1cR6mZ— KOMO Newsradio (@komonewsradio) April 4, 2021
To my mentor and adventure buddy, Dubs I - thank you for everything you taught me about being a mascot, and for all the great memories along the way. I'll miss you pic.twitter.com/eQwWSixQec— Dubs (@DubsUW) April 4, 2021
- To leave you on a lighter and somewhat unrelated note, and for the very few of you that care/read all the way to the end, my adopted Lincoln HS (Seattle) Lynx won their final game of the season this past Friday 45-3 against the Franklin HS Quakers! I can’t express how awesome of an opportunity it was to provide color commentary to their live stream this season. This group of players and coaches is doing great work restarting a program in nearby Wallingford that hadn’t played varsity football in 40 years. If any of our awesome readers here at UWDP don’t have a local HS team to root for, please send positive vibes as we head into the post season this week!