Happy Monday Husky fans!
Spring Quarter classes are starting up, the cherry blossoms are out in the Quad, and Spring football practices are just over a week away. It’s a great time of the year to be a Dawg, and just in time to welcome the newest members of the Husky family.
- As mentioned above, it was move-in weekend for the newest members of the football team ahead of Spring Practice, but not before a couple put their final touches on record-setting HS careers on Friday.
Yesterday Kennedy Catholic's Sam Huard broke Brett Rypien's record and became Washington's high school all-time leader in pass yds with 13,044 yds.— Luca Sartirana (@SartiranaLuca) March 28, 2021
Huard is an incoming freshman at the University of Washington and he's the 2nd ranked QB in the 2021 recruiting class. #PurpleReign pic.twitter.com/9elJnTHcvt
TD, Kennedy: Lancers recover a squib kick and Sam Huard connects with Jabez Tinae on this 35-yard score three plays later. PAT good. 14-0, 1:39 1Q. Huard at 152 yards. #wafbscores pic.twitter.com/vKgYDbG91G— Lauren Smith (@smithlm12) March 27, 2021
- All of the UW & local beat writers had something to say about Huard’s tremendous game to cap off his storied career and his plans to start classes at UW today.
Kennedy Catholic QB Sam Huard set the state career passing record in a 60-17 win over Kentwood. On Monday, he'll begin classes at UW — with a quarterback competition square in his sights. https://t.co/nN0c950dKE— Seattle Times Sports (@SeaTimesSports) March 29, 2021
ICYMI: Here's a story about Sam Huard's (@samhuard11) final game at Kennedy Catholic (@OurLancerNation), how he broke the state's passing record, and his next chapter with the Huskies. https://t.co/BfgvAnlqQ2— Lauren Smith (@smithlm12) March 28, 2021
Sam Huard, a record-breaking Saturday and an immediate future at Washington.https://t.co/AW2tIe9EM3— Christian Caple (@ChristianCaple) March 28, 2021
- Huard isn’t the only Dawg to start his UW career this week, with Kennedy Catholic teammate WR Jabez Tinae, DL Voi Tunuufi, RB Caleb Berry, and OT Robert Wyrsch also arriving for Spring Quarter.
- In other local football news, some leagues are wrapping up, or have completed, their spring football schedules. Perfect timing to give us more highlights of UW recruits to watch for the rest of spring.
- After a tumultuous week for the Men’s Basketball Team, this weekend saw things settle down a little. Taking stock of all the personnel changes, it seems as though we are now out 5 players (Stevenson, Tsohonis, Pryon, Battle, and Brooks) with 3 incoming (C Jackson Grant, SF Samuel Ariyibi & G Terrell Brown)
- Outside of news from Hec Ed, the Pac-12 continues it’s conference-wide Cinderella run through the NCAA Tourney with Oregon St., UCLA, and USC advancing to the Elite 8 over the weekend.
*I suppose if I had to cheer for an outcome of this game, this is the one I’d prefer?
- To put some context to the Pac-12’s improbable run, UCLA & OSU have made some history this week.
UCLA is just the second First Four team to win a Sweet 16 game.— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) March 29, 2021
History for the Bruins. pic.twitter.com/bm0u7TFCwP
Elsewhere Around the Athletic Dept:
The Huskies close up Alaska Airlines Arena with a memorable Dub.— Washington Volleyball (@UWVolleyball) March 28, 2021
Stat of the night ... 9️⃣7️⃣ digs. A season high and the most since 2017.
Crenshaw: Career-high 26 digs
Hoffman: Career-highs with 22 kills AND 17 digs #PointHuskies pic.twitter.com/fu879Z2fw4
Another day, another record-setting freshman!— Washington Track & Field (@UWTrack) March 25, 2021
Cruz Culpepper crushes the 1500m freshman record by more than 1.5 seconds and goes to #⃣6⃣ in school history!
Kathleen Horn set the women's jav FR yesterday.#GoHuskies pic.twitter.com/nm8JeH7dAh
- Looks like a Horizon Airlines employee/Dawg fan got a sweet honor this past weekend