- The UW MBB team’s red-hot streak came to a screeching halt against our in-state rivals after a full week off as our team came out cold from the field and porous on defense
Final. pic.twitter.com/Lacm6yGdZv— Washington Men's Basketball (@UW_MBB) February 1, 2021
- Coming off of a career game from Jamal Bey last week, continued cold shooting will force Hop back to the drawing board to find scoring from a starting lineup that posted just 50 pts and a team 38% FG performance.
Husky Defense Folds in 77-62 Loss to Cougars— UW Dawg Pound (@UWonSBN) February 1, 2021
Washington Negates Recent Progress https://t.co/jNrq8VQJ47 pic.twitter.com/N6Z1ohlwKx
- Not to be forgotten in a start-and-stop season, UW’s Women’s Basketball team hosted Stanford for their first home game in six weeks, with sophomore center Quay Miller posting a 15 pt, 5 rebound game pacing the Huskies.
Quay Miller with 15 points and 5 rebounds to lead UW. #AlwaysCompete x #GoHuskies pic.twitter.com/5fWdVg8LqW— Washington Women’s Basketball (@UW_WBB) January 31, 2021
- Draft season continues with a number of our departing seniors participating in the Senior Bowl. Levi Onwuzurike and Keith Taylor showed out all week during practices, but with a Levi sitting out the game with an injury, Taylor stepped up on Saturday.
Made a statement at the @seniorbowl @KRTaylor_ #PurpleReign x #BowDown pic.twitter.com/mp0LhzWem0— Washington Football (@UW_Football) January 31, 2021
- Various outlets had a range of views on Taylor’s performance, but both former Huskies played themselves onto the draft radar of a number of teams.
2021 Senior Bowl: "I don't know that I remember a better game from a corner in an all-star game." -- @MoveTheSticks on Washington CB Keith Taylor Jr.https://t.co/3Kbspeb8to pic.twitter.com/6NZrPrcVz2— Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL) January 31, 2021
- On the recruiting front, Husky Maven sat down with incoming UW OL Robert Wyrsch to breakdown his game (and his S&C progress, now standing at 6-7 285lbs)
We have Husky signee Robert Wyrsch on a podcast. He's played one year of high school football. He's 6-foot-7 and 285 pounds, and still growing. The big kid breaks down his game with Trevor Mueller. https://t.co/yRy4odSlWN— Washington Huskies on SI (@HuskyMaven) January 29, 2021
Elsewhere Around the Athletic Dept:
- Here at UW Dawg Pound we post a lot of football and basketball content, but lets remember that we have Dawgs doing awesome things in other sports. First up, our Women’s Tennis team secured the win over the Idaho Vandals this past weekend.
Dawgs complete the weekend sweep! 2-0 to start 2021!#GoHuskies pic.twitter.com/zxvi7zA9KF— Washington Women's Tennis (@UW_WTennis) January 31, 2021
- Not to be outdone, our #11 ranked Women’s Volleyball team secured back-to-back wins this weekend over the Arizona Wildcats, wrapping up a 3-1 start to the season against teams form the Grand Canyon State.
Dawgs get it done in three! Lauren Sanders leads the way with 9 kills, 2 aces, and 3 blocks #PointHuskies pic.twitter.com/GiM9mGYEse— Washington Volleyball (@UWVolleyball) January 30, 2021
The final from Tucson. Rally Dawgs fight to improve to 3-1 and win their 10th in a row in McKale Center!#PointHuskies pic.twitter.com/XBUm3chGcQ— Washington Volleyball (@UWVolleyball) January 31, 2021
- The UW Track & Field Teams hosted the UW Indoor Preview this past weekend to open their season. I never got around to checking out a track meet in my time at UW, but it looks like we have some serious talent these days with record books being re-written over the weekend.
Sprinting on air #GoHuskies pic.twitter.com/E2fTnzOtxk— Washington Track & Field (@UWTrack) January 31, 2021
‼️ Going to have to expand the Top-10 list ... freshman Cruz Culpepper announces his arrival as the 11th Husky to break the four minute mile barrier!— Washington Track & Field (@UWTrack) January 30, 2021
Cruz crosses in 3:59.53 for his first ⬇️4️⃣#GoHuskies pic.twitter.com/1YROHAzXrt
There's a new shot putter in town! Sam Van Peursem grabs sets a new Freshman Record with a first attempt launch of 62-feet, 10.75-inches!— Washington Track & Field (@UWTrack) January 30, 2021
That puts Sam at #⃣5⃣ in school history after his first meet! #GoHuskies pic.twitter.com/MxDyAaXYnC
One event info the season and we have our first HUGE new entry on the Top-10 lists!— Washington Track & Field (@UWTrack) January 29, 2021
Freshman Jayden White gets the best weight throw mark by a Husky since 1979, when 7️⃣x NCAA Champ Scott Neilson set the record.
White throws 68-9.75 to go to #️⃣2️⃣ in UW history. #GoHuskies pic.twitter.com/Y4DLptM5EJ
Beatrice Asomaning grabs the big season-opening PR to win the weight! She throws 57-2 3/4 to move to #⃣4⃣ in school history!#GoHuskies pic.twitter.com/yHD78P6Kv0— Washington Track & Field (@UWTrack) January 30, 2021