Actual football news!
- Alex Cook surprised fans last night by posting on his Instagram page that he’s switching from WR to DB. At first it seemed like an odd move - but more depth is needed at safety, and he was a big time hitter coming out of high school. His career (one season) stats as Husky WR: 1 catch, 26 yards.
Welcome to Death Row Defense!
- Here’s the Dawgman article on the switch.
- The guys from the Podcast of Champions catch up with Brandon Huffman to review each Pac-12 North recruiting class:
- Big recruiting weekend coming up with 4-star ILB Daniel Heimuli coming to Seattle, along with 4-star WR Puka Nacua:
Four-star Washington LB target @DanielHeimuli, on UW signee and high school teammate Noa Ngalu: “We were a combo. Wherever he’s at, I’m at. Wherever I’m at, he’s at.”— Mike Vorel (@mikevorel) January 24, 2019
Ngalu will be in Seattle this summer. Where will Heimuli be? https://t.co/4CvbRaYHIF
- Mike Vorel also recaps the Poly Bowl with Brandon Huffman, with a couple Husky commits standing out.
- The next shutdown CB at Washington?
Keith Taylor headlines the Pac 12 cornerbacks who allowed the fewest yards per cover snap and is joined by teammates Byron Murphy and Jordan Miller. pic.twitter.com/OgBZK4XbUo— PFF College (@PFF_College) January 24, 2019
- Who’s going to the Rose Bowl next year? Pacific Takes is getting started on 2019 way too early content.
- Also from Pacific Takes is a mock draft, highlighting the Pac-12 players.
- A big off season story around the Huskies will be about replacing starters on defense. The team rotates so much that it’s more helpful to look at departing snaps or plays, but no matter what, the Huskies will have a lot of new faces on defense. Adam Jude has his preview here.
- For those subscribers of the Athletic, good stuff from Christian Caple today. First, his mail bag where he addresses Petersen’s “vultures” comment and the idea recruiting committed players. He also ranks 2019 games by interest-factor. ($)
- The Huskies are winning...but why are Noah Dickerson’s numbers going down? Getting triple teamed is a part of it. But it’s okay, because that means opportunities are opening up for others on the court.
- Huge game tonight against Oregon, where the Huskies haven’t won since 2010. Can they make it 8 straight this season?
- Special Assistant to the Regional Manager:
Happy Birthday, Jerry Hobbie! #TougherTogether pic.twitter.com/JIE1eA3c55— Washington Men's Basketball (@UW_MBB) January 24, 2019
- Tony Castricone is a treasure and his passion for Husky sports is incredible:
GOOD MORNING! It's @UW_MBB VS OREGON today in men's basketball for the 305th time! 2nd most played rivalry in college hoops HISTORY! GET UP!— Tony Castricone (@Castricone) January 24, 2019
Dawgs look to stay unbeaten in @pac12 & get their 1st win in Matthew Knight Arena! 6 pm tipoff on @komonewsradio @TuneInSports @IMGAudio!
- Coach K and Jimmy Lake giving Hopkins some tips? ALL HAIL THE 2-3 ZONE:
The @UW_MBB Huskies lead the league during @pac12 play in:— Tony Castricone (@Castricone) January 24, 2019
- Scoring Defense (61.2)
- FG% (49.6)
- 3pt% (43.7)
- FG% Defense (40.1)
- 3pt% Defense (26.5)
- Blocks (7.6)
- Steals (8.6)
We are ALWAYS #TougherTogether