If you want to keep up-to-date with news concerning Washington Huskies athletics all in one easy-to-digest format, follow the official UW Dawg Pound Twitter account and subscribe to Ryan Priest’s lists of UW’s beat reporters, Washington athletes, Washington coaches, and Washington athletics prospects. To the Dots!
- Here’s a transcript of Chris Petersen’s meeting with the media yesterday which included an update on how the smoke and air quality is affecting the team.
- UW announcer Tony Castricone has a podcast with Mama Gaskin going into 2018.
- ESPN put out their 1st team for preseason All Americans which features only a lone Husky. Although they at least acknowledge that it’s amazing that Myles Gaskin can’t crack the RB position.
- Yahoo Sports reaches #4 in their College Football preview of the top 25 which, and you’ll never believe this, features the Washington Huskies.
- Scandal season in College Football continues as allegations have been issued by a player recently transferring from Texas A&M to Arizona about a culture of disregarding safety as well as payouts to prospective recruits happening under the new Jimbo Fisher regime.
- The Washington Post takes college football to task for the culture of faux toughness that is literally killing players.
- Meanwhile the Urban Meyer board meeting is going on as I type this and there will likely be some kind of resolution before the end of the day.
Urban Meyer’s car is in the back of the building where the Executive Session of Board of Trustees is taking place. This is a most unexpected twist. Makes it feel like some sort of resolution is inevitable. (There’s been no timetable set for a decision). pic.twitter.com/QecQY7PAcE— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) August 22, 2018
- So close...
Less than two weeks ⏳#PurpleReign pic.twitter.com/Tt0JIEiXVO— Washington Football (@UW_Football) August 22, 2018
Welcome to the Subscribers Only portion of the Dots:
- Dawgman continues their opposing view series with incoming freshman DT Sam Taimani.
- Christian Caple of The Athletic has his feature on Benning Potoa’e, who is hoping that by slimming down a little this season it will lead to a breakout year.
- The Athletic released their own preseason All-American teams which look pretty similar to the several that came out yesterday. S Taylor Rapp makes the first team while CB Byron Murphy and OT Trey Adams come in on the second team.
- Stewart Mandel at The Athletic has his college mailbag, which includes an answer to the question of whether Auburn’s Jared Stidham could be a Heisman darkhorse and the Tigers a CFP contender.
- Todd McShay of ESPN has his top 10 NFL Draft prospects at each position and features a few Huskies. Namely Myles Gaskin (#9) for RB, Trey Adams (#3) and Kaleb McGary (#8) at OT. He only does a top 5 for Safeties and mentions that he’s waiting to see Rapp against Auburn before including him.
- This will be painful for Washington fans but a list of the most memorable decommitments of the last decade plus includes Terrence Jones reneging on his pledge to the Huskies.
- 247 updated their recruiting rankings this morning. Top Husky target Jaden McDaniels is at #4 while UW commit RaeQuan Battle makes a huge leap to #83 overall.
- Arizona PF Ira Lee was charged with an “extreme DUI” this weekend after being pulled over with a BAC of .215. A former top 100 recruit, he was expected to play a much bigger role this season with the loss of starting big men Dusan Ristic and DeAndre Ayton.
- College Basketball is finally getting rid of the RPI, which everyone has known for years was an ineffective measure of a team’s quality. It is being replaced by “NET” which is seemingly closer to more accurate models like KenPom and BPI.