After the Huskies were trounced last Friday in a 22-point road loss to the No. 11 Auburn Tigers, Washington’s head coach says that his team needs to work on their fundamentals and play a more sound brand of basketball.
“We’ve had spurts where I’ve felt our offense is where it needs to be, but certainly it hasn’t been as consistent as I would like,” UW coach Mike Hopkins said. “We can get better, for sure.
“Just too many mistakes and being careless with the ball. We’ve got to clean that up.”
While the 2016 Apple Cup also decided the winner of the Pac-12 North (both teams came into it with a 7–1 conference record), this year’s edition of the rivalry game seems like it will play out as a much more competitive affair, with the Cougars owning a six-game winning streak and the game taking place in Pullman. Adam Jude points out that both teams are risers in the latest AP Poll, with the Huskies at No. 17 and the Cougars at No. 8.
The Athletic — Seven scenarios that would finally plunge a routine college football season into chaos
In addition to gaming out some of the crazier ways the final two weeks of the 2018 college football regular season could unfold, Stewart Mandel projects Washington State to play Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, from which we can surmise that he thinks the Cougars will knock off the Dawgs in the upcoming Apple Cup.
Seth Davis’ statement that Auburn is “extremely legit” is based in no small part on the strength of their dominant win over the Huskies, whom Davis says is “an NCAA Tournament-caliber team” that Auburn nevertheless made “look like they were a JV squad.” In other words, Friday’s blowout (at least in Davis’ eyes) was more about Auburn being great than it was about Washington having inherent deficiencies.
Sports Illustrated — In the Aftermath of Louisville’s Petrino Purge, No Sympathy and a Simple Next Step
The hottest story in college football this morning from a national perspective is the firing of Bobby Petrino from Louisville, whose Cardinals have absolutely tanked this year to the tune of a 2–8 record. While we don’t expect the ripple effect of Petrino’s firing to reach the Pac-12 (the Louisville administration is reportedly targeting Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm as their replacement), don’t be surprised to some of the Pac-12’s hottest coordinators to get a look if Brohm rebuffs Louisville’s advances and the Cardinals are forced to go to plan B.
- Percy Allen shares a scouting report of the San Diego Toreros, whom the Dawgs tip off against tonight at 8 p.m.
- Eric Single’s bowl projections have the Huskies taking on the Purdue Boilermakers in the Holiday Bowl.
- Washington is No. 15 in the USA Today rankings, while Wazzu checks in at No. 10.
- Meanwhile, the Dawgs are No. 11 in the S&P+ rankings, and the Cougs are at No. 16.
- USC is the only Pac-12 program named in Dan Wolken’s Nov. 11 Misery Index.
- No Washington action to break down but plenty of good stuff to be found all the same on the latest episodes of The Solid Verbal and Podcast Ain’t Played Nobody.