- After finishing the 2016 season with a 12-2 record, a Pac-12 championship and a final No. 4 ranking, the Huskies debuted in the 2017 pre-season AP Poll at No. 8, second in the conference to No. 4 USC and ahead of No. 14 Stanford and No. 24 Washington State. (Included in the “receiving votes” category are Utah, Oregon, Colorado and UCLA.)
- The News Tribune’s Todd Milles has a nice collection of interviews from this weekend’s scrimmage. They include head coach Chris Petersen, DC Pete Kwiatkowski, OL coach Scott Huff, LB Keishawn Bierria, DE Jaylen Johnson and OL Nick Harris.
- Adam Jude profiles backup quarterback K.J. Carta-Samuels, who is about to begin his fourth year as a member of the Husky football team.
- Andy Staples names Azeem Victor one of the nation’s 12 players most likely to transform his team into a champion this season.
- Milles examines which Husky football games are the most likely to draw the attention of ESPN College GameDay this fall.
- The No. 3 Washington volleyball team’s season begins Aug. 25, with a 6 p.m. matchup against Pitt.
- UW’s women’s soccer team posted a 4-0 road shutout against Michigan State over the weekend.
- Finally, Husky Stadium offered a prime location from which to watch today’s solar eclipse.
It’s the first time since 2002 that both of Washington state’s Pac-12 programs have been ranked prior to the season’s start.