If you want to keep up-to-date with news concerning UW Athletics all in one easy-to-digest format, follow me on Twitter and to subscribe to my lists of UW's beat reporters, Washington athletes, Washington coaches, and Washington athletics prospects. To the Dots!
- Adam Jude examines four key questions that surround Washington’s 2017 defense and special teams. As you might imagine, figuring out who will replace Budda Baker at the nickelback position is arguably the most pressing of concerns before Pete Kwiatkowski and Jimmy Lake this offseason.
- Sports Illustrated singled out redshirt freshman cornerback Byron Murphy as one of college football’s biggest potential breakout stars in 2017, and placed the Huskies at No. 8 in their way-too-early 2017 power rankings.
- Chris Fetters and Brandon Huffman share their takeaways from last weekend’s May Madness camp at Newport High School in Bellevue, Wash.
2018 @UW_Football commit Jacob Sirmon, two-time @May_Madness_ winner for biggest arm. #Dawgman pic.twitter.com/536XpH9Ig2— Chris Fetters (@Chris_Fetters) May 13, 2017
Also, 2017 @UW_Football signees Salvon Ahmed, Hunter Bryant, Joe Tryon, and Ali Gaye are here checking out @May_Madness_. #Dawgman pic.twitter.com/a6Vgc9nAxG— Chris Fetters (@Chris_Fetters) May 13, 2017
- Sidney Jones has received his new threads, and some good news regarding his contract.
Deuce Deuce pic.twitter.com/exukeF4PsU— Sidney Jones IV (@SidneyJonesIV) May 12, 2017
In #Eagles 2nd round CB Sidney Jones’ 4-year, $6.14M contract, the team agreed to pay his full 2017 base salary if he’s on NFI for the year.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 12, 2017
- Darrell Daniels is making some waves in Indianapolis after signing with the Colts as an undrafted free agent.
@Drinkmysuccess has looked great during the first two days of Colts rookie minicamp. @UW_Football pic.twitter.com/K8VNbnmppL— Jake Steinberg (@Steiny31) May 14, 2017
- Likewise, Jake Eldrenkamp appears to be squarely in the mix for playing time in Los Angeles.
Interesting that McVay noted Jake Eldrenkamp would have a chance to compete for center job. You hear McVay stressing competition a lot.— Rich Hammond (@Rich_Hammond) May 13, 2017
- Coach Pete made sure to send his thanks yesterday to the most important people in the recruiting process.
Happy Mother's Day to all the great Moms out there! We owe it all to you! pic.twitter.com/82Yb5VMmIW— Coach Petersen (@CoachPeteUW) May 14, 2017
- The UW men’s and women’s rowing teams both earned Pac-12 championships Sunday, marking the first time since 1997 that they accomplished such a feat.
BOW DOWN TO WASHINGTON! pic.twitter.com/OIfpz6DP1V— Washington Rowing (@UW_Rowing) May 14, 2017
For the first time since 1997, @UW_Rowing swept both Men's and Women's #Pac12Row Championships. Congrats! More: https://t.co/Yr7WJ41bEd pic.twitter.com/Vi1IEBZkih— Pac-12 Conference (@pac12) May 15, 2017
- The women’s softball team erased an 11-run deficit Saturday en route to an amazing comeback victory over Utah. In doing so, they earned a No. 6 seed in the NCAA tournament, and will host Big Sky Conference champion Montana in a Friday contest in Seattle.
Visit https://t.co/xQWSJwXdJi for full #NCAASoftball ticket information.— Washington Athletics (@UWAthletics) May 15, 2017
✓ STH Seat Reservations
✓ All-Tournament Passes#LeaveNoDoubt pic.twitter.com/YdOQRKsvgQ
- Pole vaulter Elizabeth Quick won her second consecutive conference championship yesterday in Eugene, Ore.
Elizabeth Quick. #Pac12TF Champion.— Washington Athletics (@UWAthletics) May 15, 2017
Quick wins her second straight Pac-12 pole vault title with a 13-8¼ at Hayward Field. #UWHuskies pic.twitter.com/N5oLrKFqK2
- Washington’s baseball team made a classy gesture of appreciation yesterday in honor of Mother’s Day, and followed that performance by shutting out Arizona State 4-0.
Happy Mother's Day ⚾️— UW Baseball (@UW_Baseball) May 14, 2017
Washington Baseball mothers threw out the first pitch at the Diamond on Montlake today. #UWHuskies pic.twitter.com/oqmdOPALZH
Washington wins the series against Arizona State with today's 4-0 win at the Diamond on Montlake. #UWHuskies ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/k0en4aukrY— UW Baseball (@UW_Baseball) May 14, 2017
- More Mother’s Day love from Washington athletes.
Happy Mother's Day from the #HuskyFamily #4F! pic.twitter.com/GKlvnQX7Zu— UW Men's Basketball (@UW_MBB) May 14, 2017
Text your mom "You so clutch in the 4th, Thank you" and tell her you love her!— John Ross III (@WatchJRoss) May 14, 2017
Love you man https://t.co/O2jv3SuOcu— Markelle Fultz (@MarkelleF) May 14, 2017
- Christian Caple wades into the issue of why it seems so much more difficult for Washington to recruit graduate transfer prospects than is the case for many other NCAA institutions.
- Former women’s basketball superstar Kelsey Plum has announced an endorsement deal with Nike. In unrelated news, someone get LaVar Ball directions to the nearest burn unit.
Just want to let every one know I always win @Kelseyplum10 https://t.co/wyBSyRg0cV— Markelle Fultz (@MarkelleF) May 12, 2017
Almost as delusional as the Ball family https://t.co/vDYIh9PgYu— Kelsey Plum (@Kelseyplum10) May 12, 2017
- ICYMI last week: Every UW athletic program exceeded the NCAA’s minimum Academic Progress Rate (APR) standard, with the football and men’s basketball programs each earning a perfect score of 1,000 for the 2015 to 2016 school year.
- Finally, no matter where you stand on the issue of amateur athletics, I think that we can all agree that this isn’t a good look from a PR perspective.
Flush with TV money, Big Ten is giving commissioner Jim Delany a $20 million bonus https://t.co/krFlPBS3Dd pic.twitter.com/lpONp7SRDX— The Comeback (@thecomeback) May 12, 2017