Kearse comes to play in Seahawks big victory
The Seattle Seahawks (8-5) continued their late-season surge towards the playoffs with a 35-6 victory over the Baltimore Ravens (4-9) Sunday. Ex-Husky and current 'Hawk Jermaine Kearse rebounded from a zero reception outing a week ago with seven catches for 74 yards in the victory. The Seahawks have now won four straight and have a stranglehold on one of the NFC wild card spots, while mathematically still alive for the division crown should they win out and the Arizona Cardinals lose their remaining three games.
The Carolina Panthers (13-0) moved within three victories of a perfect regular season Sunday with a 38-0 trouncing of their division rival (6-7), who continued their tumble following a 5-0 start. Linebacker Shaq Thompson continued a solid if unspectacular rookie campaign, contributing two tackles to the cause for the victorious Panthers. Meanwhile, Desmond Trufant was held to one tackle and one quarterback hit in the loss for the Falcons as their already slim playoff hopes took another hit this weekend.
Polk solid in Texans setback
Chris Polk continued to put forth a solid effort in the absence of Arian Foster for the Houston Texans (6-7), finishing with 11 carries for 34 yards and two receptions for 14 yards in a 27-6 loss to the New England Patriots (11-2) Sunday night. Polk now has 252 rushing yards and 95 receiving yards this season for the Texans, both career highs.
Around the NFL
- Travis Coons converted one of two field goal attempts and three extra points in the Cleveland Browns (3-10) 24-10 victory over the San Francisco 49ers (4-9). Danny Shelton did not record a tackle in the victory for the Browns.
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins had three receptions for 31 yards for the Tampa Bay Bucs (6-7) in their defeat to the New Orleans Saints (5-8). Linebacker Hau'oli Kikaha had a tackle for the victorious Saints.
- Marcus Peters had five tackles and a deflected pass for the Kansas City Chiefs (8-5), who continued their second-half surge with a 10-3 win over the San Diego Chargers (3-10). Denzel Perryman saw action over former Husky Donald Butler, who finished with no tackles in the loss.
- Mason Foster and Dashon Goldson combined for 10 tackles as the Washington Redskins (6-7) defeated the Chicago Bears (5-8) to remain in the driver's seat to win the weak NFC East division.
- Marcel Reece had two carries for two yards as the Oakland Raiders (6-7) upset the Denver Broncos (10-3) 15-12 Sunday.
- Bishop Sankey was inactive in week 14, but figures to see more playing time for the Tennessee Titans with Dexter McCluster being ruled out for the remainder of the season with a wrist injury.
Follow me on Twitter @GQuintero_84