Smith debuts for Seahawks in win
After falling short of making Seattle's 53-man roster in back-to-back training camps wide receiver Kevin Smith finally made his NFL debut with the Seahawks (5-5) 29-13 victory over the San Francisco 49ers (3-7). Smith didn't have a reception in the victory, but receiving teammate Jermaine Kearse had three for 34 yards. For Smith, despite not having a reception in the victory, finally making it to the NFL must have been a surreal experience for a guy loading trucks for FedEx at this time last year -- congratulations, Kevin!
Panthers dominate Redskins to remain perfect
The Carolina Panthers moved to a perfect 10-0 on the season with a convincing 44-16 victory over the Washington Redskins (4-6) on Sunday. A trio of ex-Huskies were involved in this one -- Panthers rookie Shaq Thompson and the 'Skins Dashon Goldson and Mason Foster. Statistically, Goldson had the better day in the losing effort, adding another eight tackles to a category he already leads the Washington defense in this season. Thompson also had a solid day for Carolina, closing with four tackles and a deflected pass in the win.
Foster had a quiet day for the Redskins, finishing with one tackle in the contest.
Trufant shines, Falcons fall
The Atlanta Falcons (6-4) suffered their third straight defeat, falling to the Indianapolis Colts (5-5) 24-21 on a field goal from Colts veteran Adam Vinatieri with under a minute to play. The loss was despite a solid effort from Desmond Trufant on the Falcons secondary. Trufant played one of his best games of the season, finishing with four tackles, a pair of pass deflections and a sack in the loss.
Around the NFL
- Tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins continues to get closer to a return for the Tampa Bay Bucs. He was listed as a game time decision, still recovering from a shoulder injury, but was held out of the Bucs (5-5) lopsided 45-17 win over the Philadelphia Eagles (4-6)
- Marcus Peters had two tackles and a pass deflection as the Kansas City Chiefs (5-5) blasted the San Diego Chargers (2-8) 33-3 Sunday
- The Oakland Raiders (4-6) suffered a 18-13 setback to the Detroit Lions (3-7). as Raiders fullback Marcel Reece had two carries for two yards in the loss
- Bishop Sankey was inactive for the second time in three weeks as his Tennessee Titans (2-8) fell to the Jacksonville Jaguars (4-6) 19-13 on Thursday
- Houston Texans (5-5) running back Chris Polk was held out of the teams 24-17 victory over the New York Jets (5-5) with a hamstring injury
- Travis Coons, Danny Shelton (Browns) and Hau'oli Kikaha (Saints) had bye's this week
Follow me on Twitter @GQuintero_84 and check us out @UWonSBN