Falcons move to 4-0 behind Trufant, defense
After a quiet, but effective start to the 2015 season, Atlanta Falcons corner Desmond Trufant had a breakout game Sunday as his team moved to 4-0. The Falcons knocked off the Houston Texans 48-21, and Trufant contributed two tackles, three pass deflections and his first touchdown of the season, returning a Arian Foster fumble for the score.
Foster had a rough game in his return, allowing Chris Polk to lead the Texans in rushing, although he was far from stellar. Polk lead the way with a mere 27 rushing yards on only three carries while also adding a touchdown.
Last second field goal propels Chargers over Browns
In a game featuring three former Huskies the San Diego Chargers beat the Cleveland Browns 30-27 on a last second field goal. Donald Butler had a pair of tackles for the winning side, but was also burned via a coverage mismatch on Browns rookie Duke Johnson's 34-yard touchdown reception.
Browns rookie Danny Shelton struggled for the first time this season, finishing with out a tackle while struggling at times to stop the Chargers running game. He was also absent from the field on what would prove to be the Chargers game winning drive. Kicker Travis Coons continued his torrid start to the season, converting another four field goals, with a long of 40, and an extra point in the loss.
Redskins win, add Foster
The Washington Redskins moved to 2-2 on the season with a 23-20 victory over the floundering Philadelphia Eagles Sunday. Safety and veteran leader Dashon Goldson recorded three tackles, but struggled at times in the victory. He was caught out of position and took a bad path on a 30 yard DeMarco Murray run and was also called for a costly 15 yard penalty. Goldson is now joined on the 'Skins by another former Husky, linebacker Mason Foster, who was added this week after failing to make the Chicago Bears squad this summer.
Kikaha leads Saints defense in 26-20 win
The New Orleans Saints earned their first victory of the season, a 26-20 win over the Dallas Cowboys, with rookie Hau'oli Kikaha leading the way on defense. Kikaha had his best game of an already solid season in the victory, contributing a team high eight tackles, along with another sack. Kikaha set a UW record with 19 sacks in 2014, and already has three this season in only four games thus far as a rookie.
Around the NFL
- The Bears beat the Raiders 22-20 Sunday as Chicago linebacker John Timu recorded a tackle in his first NFL victory. Raiders fullback Marcel Reece had a pair of receptions for 16 yards in the loss.
- Seahawks receiver Jermaine Kearse had only two receptions Monday night, but made them count, leading the team with 84 receiving yards. His 50 yard reception late clinched the 13-10 over the Lions
- Shaq Thompson had four tackles in the Panthers 37-23 win over Tampa Bay. He was also called for a late hit following a Jameis Winston interception.
- Rookie Marcus Peters had three tackles Sunday in the Kansas City Chiefs loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Bishop Sankey and the Tennessee Titans were off this week