Falcons lose first game of the season to Kikaha, Saints
The Atlanta Falcons dropped their first game of the season, a 31-21 setback last Thursday to the rival New Orleans Saints. The Saints had solid performances on both sides of the ball in their second victory of the season. Senio Kelemete contributed to a solid effort from the Saints offensive line, allowing quarterback Drew Brees to complete 30 of his 39 pass attempts for 312 yards and a touchdown. The Saints also enjoyed a solid performance from linebacker Hau'oli Kikaha who finished with seven tackles and a sack, his fourth of the season.
Desmond Trufant continued a statistically quiet, but effective season for the Falcons, finishing with one tackle to his credit in the contest.
Peters shines, Chiefs sputter
Rookie corner Marcus Peters continue to be one of the lone bright spots in any otherwise forgettable season for the 1-5 Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs lost again Sunday, a 16-10 defeat at the hands of the Minnesota Vikings, but Peters continued his solid season. Peters finished the game with six tackles, two pass deflections and an interception, giving him three in 2015.
Redskins fall short to New York Jets
The Washington Redskins dropped to 2-4 on the season with a 34-20 loss to the New York Jets, despite a stellar performance safety Dashon Goldson on defense. Goldson finished with a team high 13 total tackles (7 solo) and a pass deflection in the loss. Newly acquired Mason Foster saw action on the special teams unit for the Redskins, but struggled in the defeat. Foster was called for a penalty, and later missed a recovery on an onside kick, giving the ball back to the Jets.
Around the NFL
- Shaq Thompson recorded four tackles Sunday in the Panthers 27-23 win over the Panthers, but later left with a knee injury. The injury has since been revealed as a minor knee sprain, with his future for next week uncertain. Former Husky and current Seahawk wide receiver Jermaine Kearse was targeted three times, but failed to record a reception in the loss
#Panthers LB Shaq Thompson suffered a minor MCL sprain on Sunday, source said. It looked much, much worse than it turned out to be.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 19, 2015
- The Cleveland Browns fell 26-23 in overtime to the Denver Broncos as Danny Shelton recorded a tackle, and kicker Travis Coons converted a field goal and two extra points to remain perfect on both this season
- Donald Butler had four tackles for the San Diego Chargers in their loss to the Green Bay Packers, 27-20
- Chris Polk had nine touches (8 rushes for 37 yards, 1 reception for 2 yards) as the Houston Texans defeated the Jacksonville Jaguars 31-20
- Bishop Sankey continued his slow start to the season in the Tennessee Titans lopsided 38-10 loss to the Miami Dolphins. Sankey had three rushes for 13 yards and one seven yard reception
- Khalif Barnes and Marcel Reece had the day off as the Oakland Raiders had their bye week
Follow me on Twitter @GQuintero_84 and check us out on Twitter @UWonSBN