The Huskies coaching staff is out in full force over the next few weeks as they race towards the proverbial finish line in the annual football recruiting cycle. This includes a big official visit weekend that will be wrapping up at Montlake this afternoon.
While there is precious little news coming out of Montlake, ur friends at SB Nation have helped us to compile a list of news bytes involving Husky recruits for in both the 2015 and 2016 cycles from all across the web. It seemed like perfect Sunday morning reading as all of you prepare for a long day of Seahawks and Husky Men's Basketball.
So, here is our special Recruiting Edition of Dot...Dot...Dawg.
2015 Class Dots
- Buena Park (Ca.) athlete Jaylinn Hawkins visited Utah and Washington and really enjoyed his time at Arizona State ($). Hawkins will also take visits to Cal and Oregon. Hawkins is a "must-get" in my mind given the imbalance that UW has at WR in the forseeable future. We'll learn a lot about what the Petersen staff can do on the trail with this dogfight.
- San Marcos (Ca.) Mission Hills athlete DeChaun Holiday has a top four of Arizona State (visiting January 16), Washington (January 23), UCLA (January 30), USC (been there plenty). Video from the Army Bowl discussion his recruitment ($).
- Rockwall (Tx.) running back Chris Warren has Oklahoma State (January 16th), Texas, Texas Tech (January 23rd) and Washington (January 30th) in his final four. More about his plans as he continues to sort through his options ($). RB is also a critical area of need and Warren is widely viewed as amongst the top 5 of backs in the nation. Landing him would be a huge coup for this staff.
- Warren's friend and Rockwall (Tx.) wide receiver Xavier Castille will take official visits to Oklahoma State, SMU, and Washington these next few weeks. Kansas is also in his final four. Castille is another bigger WR prospect who is starting to rise as teams and recruits get matched up.
- Could Lakewood (Wa.) Lakes defensive end Benning Potoa’e have UCLA on top of his recruitment ($). Washington is also on the list and will get an official on January 16 ($), but could Potoa’e be a package deal along with Leiato ($)? These are all questions that are getting debated heavily across the recruiting-sphere. I'm guessing the answers are "maybe" and "no", but I admit that I don't follow recruiting as close as some of you.
- San Diego (Ca.) Del Norte cornerback Quenton Meeks has a final five of Stanford, Vanderbilt, Cal, Washington and ASU, and dispelled rumors of an early commitment. A Stanford visit still looms.
- Los Angeles (Ca.) Salesian defensive tackle Kevin Scott is planning visits to Purdue, San Diego State, and Ole Miss. USC is trying to convince him to gray shirt ($). Is Washington in the mix ($)?
2016 Class Dots
- 2016 Glendora (Ca.) quarterback Matt Fink was offered by Washington. Oregon State and Boise State have already offered.
- 2016 Bellevue (Wa.) Eastside Catholic athlete Brandon Wellington is a Husky commit, but UCLA definitely is making a push ($).
- 2016 La Canada Flintridge (Ca.) St. Francis wide receiver Dylan Crawford has transferred to Santa Margarita and is very interested in Michigan ($). USC, UCLA, Washington, Oklahoma and Arizona State have mutual high interest.
- 2016 Spokane (Wa.) Gonzaga Prep defensive end Evan Weaver holds offers from Boise State and Washington State but definitely wants more.
- 2016 La Puente (Ca.) Bishop Amat wide receiver Tyler Vaughns is being prioritized by USC and Washington and has also made a lot of visits to UCLA. Notre Dame is also in the lead group ($).
- 2016 Fresno (Ca.) Clovis wide receiver Darian Owens is getting the love from the Bruins, Huskies and Trojans early in the process.
- 2016 Gardena (Ca.) Serra defensive end Oluwole Betiku is new to football (great feature here), but already has a USC offer, is interested in UCLA and wants to see Notre Dame and Oklahoma. Washington recently offered ($).
- 2016 Covina (Ca.) Charter Oak running back Zion Echols has USC in the lead over Washington and Oregon.