Behold, the power of the Dots, as typed on an iPad. Thank you Steve Jobs and all the people that you pilfered from on your way to immortality.
It was an exciting weekend for the Huskies with the wrapping up of yet another Crew title, a suspenseful, if not somewhat soaked, weekend of tournament baseball and some buzz getting generated on the basketball recruiting trail. OFFSEASON? What offseason? It's always Purple at the Dawgpound. Now, eat Dots.
- The Husky Baseball team completed a remarkable run towards the top of the NCAA rankings with a bold but just-not-enough effort in the Oxford regionals. The UW Daily has the recap here.. Hats off to UW coach Lindsay Meggs who took a team that nobody expected anything from and produced a top 10 type of team. With almost everybody coming back, there is much to like about the Diamond Dawgs prospects for 2015.
- It has been fun culling through all of the various breakdowns of CJ Wilcox's game as the NBA Draft quickly approaches. Most analysts are seeing CJ as a late first/early second round pick and comparing him to a Klay Thompson which, I think, is fair. Here is a review from the Boston Celtics point of view. If CJ does indeed go in the first, it will have completely validated his decision to stay another season at UW and again demonstrated Lorenzo Romar's ability to develop his talent.
- Some people (ahem) have been slightly critical of PAC 12 Commissioner Larry Scott's inability to get national distribution deals done with the big Cable companies and with DirecTV. Some of us may not have been terribly thrilled with the move to bring the PAC 12 Championship game to Santa Clara. But, damn, if that guy isn't making it rain for his constituents.
- We can't let these dots go without noting that Demore'ea Stringfellow's transfer to Nebraska is now a done deal. This is a bigger deal for UW football than the common fan is giving credit for. I can only hope that the staff has gone through what every high performing leadership team would do when important plans don't get executed as plan and that is to assess, reflect and correct. I remain steadfast in the opinion that there isn't any unpreventable reason for String to not be in Purple and Gold. Now, obviously, we must move on.
- ICYMI - Larry Stone has a nice piece recapping the spring of Husky Sports. It has been a truly remarkable season for non-revenue sports and evidence of the superb job that Scott Woodward and Co. are performing in the Athletic Department. Now, if they'd only credential legit blogs like your very own UWDP.
- Here is a nice blog post on the impending stardom of UW alum Isaiah Thomas. At age 25, the road is just beginning to open in front of the former "Mr. Irrelevant". What a tremendous story he has been.
- And, because they don't often get love around here, how about a shout out to the UW GymDawgs. Coach Bowers has announced her captains for next fall Congrats to rising stars McKenzie Fechter, Jackie McCartin and Madison Podlucky.
- Finally, Ben recaps the decision by local 4-star SG prospect Dejounte Murray of Rainier Beach H.S. to commit to Lorenzo Romar and the Washington Huskies.
That's all for now folks. Stay tuned to the Pound this week as we've got some audience engagement plans in place to help get your sad soul through the doldrums of the offseason.