Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal.
I walk the corner to the rubble that used to be a library,
Line up to the mind cemetary, now.
What we don't know keeps the contracts alive an movin',
They don't gotta burn tha books, they just remove 'em.
While arms warehouses fill as quick as the cells,
Rally round tha family, pocket full of shells.
- In a show-me game against the Colorado Buffaloes on Sunday, the Dawgs suffered their latest curb-stomping in losing 91–65. Barring a major turnaround in the Pac-12 tournament, Washington has likely punched its ticket for the NIT Express.
- It wasn't all doom and gloom in the land of Husky Basketball: the Lady Dawgs upset No. 3 Stanford, handing the Cardinal their first conference loss of the season.
- As the NFL Draft approaches, Austin Seferian-Jenkins is starting to draw some eyeballs.
- Adam Jude has some details from Washington's Junior Day, which took place last weekend. The big names at the camp were QB Brett Rypien (Shadle Park H.S., Spokane), LB Mustafa Branch (Bellevue), LB Cameron Saffle (Skyline) and DL Jared Hilbers (Beaverton, Ore.). In addition, Jude reports that the Seattle City Attorney's office has received the police report that reportedly implicates two Husky football players, likely Cyler Miles and Damore'ea Stringfellow, in connection to the event's of last Sunday's Super Bowl-related altercations.
- Bleacher Report's Michael Felder is decidedly bearish on the state of Husky football in 2014, saying that Chris Petersen—who takes over a program that last year went 9–4 and produced the Mackey winner and a Doak Walker finalist—"has one of the tallest mountains to climb in the college football landscape." I'll be interested to learn if his is a minority opinion in the months ahead; it certainly doesn't track with my own sentiments.
- Athlon Sports ranks Washington's recruiting class seventh in the conference and 38th in the nation.
- If you need any more proof that ESPN loves itself some SEC, listen to Tom Luginbill refer to Washington's star recruit as "Bubba Baker" in the latest ESPNU College Football podcast. Meanwhile, Bubba made an appearance on KJR this morning with Mitch Levy to talk about why he decided to stay in the Seattle area.
- The Dawgs occupy the caboose spot of Mark Schlabach's Post-Signing Day Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25.
- The men's baseball field has undergone quite the transformation.
Question of the Day
The conclusion of the NFL postseason and National Signing Day has led our attention to be fixed squarely upon men's basketball, meaning that Washington has picked precisely the wrong time to go into a 2–5 slump. Unless they dig out a 1995 Mariners-esque turnaround, the Huskies are likely to miss the Big Dance for the third year in a row. With the caveat that there's still basketball to be played, how do you feel about the state of the program under Lorenzo Romar?