If I was king for just one day I would give it all away I would give it all away to be with you If I was king for just one day I had just one thing to say You know that love is All we need to get us through ---Thompson Twins "King for One Day"
Two QBs and Just One Goat
What is there to say about Lane Kiffin that hasn't already been said? Well, I liked his track jacket from Saturday night. That's about all there was to like when it came to his overall performance as the defacto offensive coordinator for USC. The Trojans have struggled finding a replacement for Matt Barkley as both Cody Kessler and Max Wittek have failed to seize the job. Their stat lines from Saturday's loss to the WSU were something straight out of a Chucky movie. 2.6 yards per pass. 54 total yards passing. 11 completions, seven of which were to Marqise Lee. 3 of 13 on third downs. 2 interceptions. It was an epic failure of a game for Lane Kiffin who now faces the prospect for having to burn Max Browne's redshirt before his job security goes past the point of no return.
Offensive and Offensive
The Oregon Ducks traveled three time zones for the privilege of thumping the University of Virginia in another brazen display of rushing offense. Virginia, who the week before had set a record by punting 13 times against BYU ... and winning, was no match for Oregon who 350 yards rushing on nearly 9 yards per carry. On the flip side, Virginia seemed to have personally offended the Ducks (perhaps by actually trying to win) who were goaded into 11 penalties for a whopping 119 yards including six 15-yarders (one roughing the QB penalty was offset by a holding).
Bearing Through Potential Disaster
Fresh off an invigorating game against a ranked opponent in which they showed off the new "Bear Raid" offense of Sonny Dykes, Cal fans had designs on a blow-out "tune-up" affair as their Golden Bears hosted FCS Portland State. What they got was a whole lot of cardiac stress. The Vikings gave the Bears all that they could handle, holding a lead into the fourth quarter. Still, true freshman QB Jared Goff put on a show to the tune of 485 yards passing, including a truly spectacular one-handed grab by Maurice Harris (see below), on their way to a 37-30 victory. Next up #4 Ohio State.
Week 2 Pac 12 Power Poll
1. Oregon: Pundits looking for a scab to pick at can point to Oregon's passing offense. QB Marcus Mariota completed just 50% of his passes for an average yardage of 7.1 per play - hardly Heisman-esque.
2. Stanford: QB Kevin Hogan wasn't very sharp, but the D did their thing and took an easy W from SJSU. Interesting to see that Tyler Gaffney dominated the running load.
5. ASU: Efficient and dominating against a far overmatched FCS opponent
6. Arizona: Hard to know what they are given the lack of competition, but Ka'Deem Carey is back.
7. Utah: 70 points is 70 points, even against Weber State
9. USC: Everyone is going to talk about how bad the offense was, but don't ignore how good their D was.
10. Cal: Living and dying with the true frosh QB, they barely survive an FCS scare against Portland State.
11. Oregon State: I wouldn't call their win vs Hawaii impressive, but it was a win. And there was offense.
12. Colorado: You don't want to be tied against Central Arkansas in the fourth quarter if you hope to not finish last in the weekly power poll. Long days ahead for Coach Mack.