Ode to a Mother: What is a Mother? A silent sentry who stands between your sobriety and your will to divulge in a perpetual drunken stupor. A worthy scout who clears the road ahead of all unworthy future mates before you ever have a chance encounter with the woman of your dreams. A noble spectre who haunts your dreams with dots and desires that feed your passion for all things purple. WOOF
- The Minnesota Timberwolves have a new President in Flip Saunders and he entered his first official day on the job last Friday with a big stick on his shoulder. Flip waived Brandon Roy and fired Will Conroy, the latter of whom had been serving as a member of the TWolves scouting services department. The release of Brandon Roy now is a telling act given that BRoy still had a year and $5 million owed to him. In effect, Saunders is admitting that there is zero chance of being able to package BRoy in some kind of deal even to level out salaries being exchanged (one would presume that an expiring $5 mil contract could be useful in that regard). This move pretty much confirms, then, what we all know to be true. Brandon Roy's career, at least in the NBA as a player, is over. I haven't seen any reaction or quotes from Brandon himself, but I'll pass along anything I can find.
- Another UW alum and former Roy teammate, Nate Robinson, continues to tear it up in the playoffs. The Lost Letterman says that N-Rob's antics in the 2013 NBA playoffs are evoking memories of his brilliant career at UW. While I may disagree with the notion that N-Rob was the "best player at UW for several runs", this is a great read and it includes lots of video clips worth checking out.
- If you can't get enough of Nate Rob, check out this highlight from Game 3 - stuffing a King.
- Marv Harshman was honored at a public memorial in Seattle yesterday. I don't know if any of you attended, but there were several UW Basketball connections present including Lorenzo Romar and Steve Hawes. In a well-timed piece, former Times assistant sports editor, Rick Lund, wrote about the most talented team that he thinks Harshman ever assembled. Some of you may wish to debate it, but it is a fun read nonetheless.
- The newest addition to the UW coaching family is Romar assistant TJ Otzelberger. The Des Moines Register recaps some of the motivations that may have been behind TJ's departure from Iowa State and the Fred Hoiberg-run program.
Keith Price got mugged the other day. Photo evidence is below:
Getting jumped by 1st graders! #goons twitter.com/KeithPrice17/s…— Keith Price (@KeithPrice17) May 6, 2013
- Speaking of KP, he showed up on the Saturday Blitz's list of "pivotal QBs" in 2013 - players are are eminently vital to their teams success in the coming season.
- The ESPN guys are wrapping up all of their spring camp coverage which included this Ted Miller interview of Steve Sarkisian (who, incidentally, is the most followed Twitterer among all the P12 coaches).
- Mel Kiper released his first "big board" for 2014. Austin Seferian-Jenkins is the only TE ranked in his top 25 ($).
- The offseason can be long, but just hold on. The first game in the brand new Husky Stadium is coming and Boise State is sure to provide an exciting start to the 2013 season. SB Nation's Bill Connelly chimes in with 10 things you need to know about the Broncos.
- We don't link to a lot of baseball around here as none of the current contributors are regular followers. However, it is hard to not come across some items from time to time when I'm assembling the Dots. Yesterday is one such example. The Huskies pulled off a tight 5-2 victory over Utah in a game that ended on a remarkable play by Husky SS Ty Afenir. Enjoy.
- Happy Mother's Day to all you Dawg-luvin' Moms out there!