It's been 24 hours now since Chris Petersen's press conference introducing him as the new head coach for Washington football, and the reactions have been pouring in. The short version? Folks are impressed:
- In case you missed it, here is the full press conference video.
- USA Today provides the big picture summary of the press conference here, saying he took on a challenge that "...wasn't about trying to gain respect on a national stage, but about proving he could succeed on a bigger stage."
- Kevin Gemmell of the Stanford part of the ESPN Pac-12/Stanford blog thinks that if he were "...a recruit on the fence, there’s a sense that this is a guy I want to play for."
- Yogi Roth of the Pac-12 Networks has a sit-down interview with Coach Petersen where he expands on what he looks for in an "OKG" and other coaching philosophies.
- Count former coach Jim Lambright as a fan of Petersen.
- Jerry Brewer of the Seattle Times weighs in with his impressions, and thinks Petersen might be an "ideal fit."
- John McGrath of the Tacoma News-Tribune says that Petersen is about a lot more than just trick plays.
- After Petersen finished his press conference, AD Scott Woodward (who couldn't be present due to a family emergency) gave his thoughts on a teleconference, and describes his first impressions having met him at the Las Vegas Bowl last year.
- Chadd Cripe of the Idaho Statesman Bronco Beat thinks that Petersen will try to bring nearly everyone from his current staff with him if they are interested.
- Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury-News says the contract Washington gave Chris Petersen tops the conference and suggests it will spur a number of contract renegotiations around the Pac-12.
- Recruiting never stops, and Petersen has already made some calls to Sacramento area high schools according to of the Sacramento Bee.
- Regarding Petersen continuing to recruit current Boise State commits at Washington, Chad Crippe thinks he will - he won't throw away relationships he's been building with them over the past year.
- On the staff hiring front, the biggest question right now is about what meeting with Wilcox today is the "first order of business" for Petersen. He also suggests that the $1M buyout remains a hurdle for USC pursuing him.
will do. Adam Jude of the Seattle Times reports that
- Boise radio personality Jeff Caves has an update on the Broncos coaching search and speculation on who might come with Wilcox if hired by Boise State. Website Blue-Turf.com reports that Bryan Harsin has withdrawn his name from the search, and Chadd Crippe reports that Jeff Tedford has interviewed for the job. Pressed for a prediction, Crippe currently thinks Wilcox is the leader.
- In other recruiting news, Budda Baker has set up an official visit with USC - the Trojans had not been serious players for Baker prior to Sarkisian taking the job. Biggins also reports that USC will be in the home of top UW DT target Claude Pelon today.
- Finally, Husky Legend Napoleon Kaufman has a new job - Head Coach of the Bishop O'Dowd High School Dragons in Oakland, CA.
Question of the Day
Justin Wilcox is clearly a coach in demand. He remains (for the moment at least) a serious candidate to replace Chris Petersen as the head coach at Boise State, and USC is reportedly still interested despite the steep cost of his buyout. What will be your reaction f it turns out that Wilcox does not end up staying at Washington on Petersen's staff?