An odd garnishment for any man in this town, the satin cloak floated behind him betraying the briskness with which he moved. He walked with his head down, focused on something other than his destination. The dots around him were scattered in an incomprehensible pattern, or non-pattern, that bordered on the precipice of what he would consider chaos. He had a task yet to perform - not a small one, in fact. Could he? The ice on the ground was not slick, the falling snow was not white and the fragrance of the cool air was not of pine and smoke. Nothing was as it should have been.
There is no way to put yesterday into any kind of rational context, so I will just offer my sympathies and prayers to those whose families had the worst of all hells unleashed into their lives. To the rest of you, a few dots to serve as a diversion.
- Kicking it off with a nice article from Gregg Bell honoring UW seniors. The article reminds us of the fact that life moves on for most senior athletes and that the bowl season marks the beginning of the rest of their lives for 98% of graduating football players.
- The ESPN P12 Blog crew dedicated their "Take 2" column this week to looking at "underrated" conference players. I won't give away the punchline, but I will say that Kevin Gemmell is now my favorite of those two.
- Mason Kelley continues his "Top 5 Moments" countdown ($). #4 is a look back at a game that most of us would probably rather forget given how it nationally revealed the, uhhhh, sluggishness of our team. #3 was a big game for a fallen star.
- My new less favorite blogger has a primer on the Las Vegas Bowl.
- Joe Southwick is sporting a lucky porn 'stache. Appropriate for the Vegas Bowl. Oh, and he has some thoughts on the Husky Defense.
- Speaking of porn 'staches, Bob Condotta does not have one of those. But he does have a 5 Questions segment with Boise St. beat writer, Chadd Cripe. (two D's? really?)
- Interested in ESPN Bowl Picks? Here are some for you, including a less than favorable opinion on the Las Vegas Bowl. Interesting to note Will Harris's opinion that of UW wins this season, only two were "impressive".
- Pat Forde also has his run down on Bowl Season picks. If you are looking for someone to pick the Huskies, keep looking.
- Deadspin has its own way of previewing bowl games, including the Las Vegas Bowl.
- Mike Belotti has an opinion! about us!
- Big recruiting news from yesterday as S Trevor Walker got plucked by Sark and Co out of the great state of Texas ($). Apparently, Keith Heyward is "the best recruiter ever". Obviously, this is the second time so far that we've been able to go into Texas and pull out a target recruit. This kind of prowess is indicative of the reach that some of our recruiters have and bodes well for the future of the program.
- Of more dubious news, Myles Jack has set an official visit date to Oregon ($).
- Dashon Goldson continues to get recognized for the All Pro contributions he is making as one half of the 49ers Lumber Co.
- Brandon Roy has returned to practice with the T'Wolves about a month after going through another artroscopic procedure on his knee. BRoy says that he was never seriously considering retirement.
- The Husky Bball team put together a mostly good game and easily handled the Seattle U Redhawks on Thurs night. Percy has the recap and notes.
That's it, Dawgs. Go hug somebody and then settle in for some bowl games. The season starts today.