We saw a lot of improvement this week. Hawaii is a good football team and the Huskies came oh so close to blowing them out of the game in the first half.
Eliminate a couple of mistakes here, and there, and that could have easily happened.
The Huskies are 2-0 on the season. They are sporting a six game winning streak which believe it or not is the fourth longest winning streak in the country.
The guys in Vegas aren't impressed. They have installed the Nebraska Cornhuskers as a 17.5 point favorite at home over the Huskies.
Sure...I buy that the Huskers should be favored but I saw the film of their game against Fresno State and I came away unimpressed. Not only can the Huskies play with these guys they can also beat them. Confidence shouldn't be a problem because the last time these two teams played Washington was the victor.
Lincoln of course provides a phenomenal background for a college football game. Memorial Stadium is one of the true cathedrals of the sport. The fans are some of the best in the country and are known for their sportsmanship. That being said it is still loud and tough place to play in.
Nebraska coach Bo Pellini told the media that he wasn't pleased with his defense and this was a good wake up call for his team.
"I think it will be a good wake-up call for them," he said. "Sometimes you've got to get humbled. It wasn't anything we didn't expect, we just didn't execute, we didn't tackle, we didn't play well defensively. I'm pretty sure we know how to fix that."
Bugs Dodger Returns
Every Saturday our good friend Bugs Dodger delivers a literary masterpiece on why he despises that days opponent. I am still chucking over his Hula Hula Boys piece from last Saturday.
Gecko Never Left
Gecko has been finding his writing identity over the past couple of weeks which has been a big help to me. Expect 2-3 great pieces from him each week as the season progresses.
Eastern Washington Gets Hammered
The Eagles traveled to Vermillion, SD to face South Dakota in something called the Dakota Dome. Predictably the Eagles had a let down after blowing what could have been the biggest victory in school history in Husky Stadium last week.
QB Bo Levi Mitchell was 38-60 with 2 TD's and 2 interceptions but South Dakota prevailed 30-17. One of those interceptions was a pick six which is one of the reasons that Bo Levi is an Eagle rather than a SMU Mustang.
Marvin Hall Status
He was admitted as a partial qualifier which means he can't compete or practice for a year. Sark says that they will send him home to take a class this fall and admit him as a full qualifier in January. By doing that he will be able to participate in winter conditioning and spring football.
Pac 12 Power Rankings
1. Stanford...The Cards handled Duke on the road 44-14 featuring four solid quarters of football. Next up is the conference opener against Arizona in Tucson.
2. Oregon...The Ducks rebounded against Nevada by running up the score 69-20 in an attempt regain some lost poll votes. Up next is Missouri State which may allow the Ducks to break the century mark.
3. Arizona State...A less than impressive 37-30 overtime win over a tough Missouri squad at home. The Devils blew a two TD lead in the fourth quarter. Brock Osweiler was 24 for 32 for 353 yards and three TD's. The Devils will be tested on the road against Illinois this week.
4. Southern California...This squad seems to be picking up where they left off last season which isn't good news if you are a Trojan fan...but they are 2-0. The Trojans take on Syracuse at home this week.
5. Washington...The Huskies took a quantum leap as far as improvement is concerned in a 40-32 win over Hawaii. Keith Price looked real solid at quarterback. Next up is a rubber game against Nebraska in Lincoln.
6. Utah...The Ute's had a tough 23-14 last second loss to USC. Utah had the tying field goal blocked by USC and run back for a touchdown to end the game. Up next is a tough BYU team in Provo.
7. California...They impressed me against Fresno then they have to take it to OT to beat a pretty lousy Colorado team on the road....go figure. Cal still hasn't gotten that road bugaboo off their back. Up next is Presbyterian and a 3-0 start to the season.
8. Arizona...Oklahoma State just trashed these guys on Thursday night 37-14 in a game that was not even as close as the score would indicate.
Next up is Stanford.
9. Washington State...We all know that UNLV is terrible but 2-0 does have a nice ring to it if you are a Coug fan. The "Lobster" is making the most out of his opportunity. He threw for 361 yards and five touchdowns. Maybe they just let Tuel redshirt and get completely healthy rather than bring him back this year? The Cougs take on San Diego State on the road this week.
10. UCLA...The Bruins had to rally in the fourth quarter to beat a San Jose State team which isn't very good. Looks like the Bruin players have decided to mail it in this season which makes Rick Neuheisel look like a dead man walking. Next up is Texas at home....good luck Rick!
11. Colorado...Nice bounce back game against Cal but the Buffs end up on the short end of stick in overtime 36-33. QB Tyler Hansen went off against the Bears. He was 28 of 49 passes for a school record 474 yards and three TDs. Up next is cross state rival Colorado State.
12. Oregon State...I think the Beavers will get better and climb out of the basement but the 35-0 beating Wisconsin administered could have been 70-0 if that is what the Badger coaching staff wanted it to happen. The Beav's get a week off to lick their wounds and eat their dead at QB.