So how many true freshmen are going to play this season? We really won't know for a couple of weeks but a quick survey of the roster gives us close to a dozen candidates.
1. TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins - For all intents and purposes Washington ran out of TE's last season and opted to go with a walk on tackle when extra blocking was needed from the edge. This season three freshmen led by ASJ are on campus hopefully returning the Huskies to the days when the place was known as TE University. ASJ is an athlete who Sark says is as talented as anyone he has ever had at that position during his coaching career. Blocking will be a challenge but he has been working on it since this past spring. Coach Ivan has already taken 20-30 lbs off his frame and re-sculpted him during the off season.
2. WR Kasen Williams - This kid is built to take a pounding. He immediately gives this team a physical presence over the middle. Washington is loaded at receiver but it is hard to imagine Williams not being in a 3-5 man rotation to start the season. As far as potential impact goes he is in a virtual tie with ASJ at this point. I give a slight nod to ASJ because the position he is playing really wasn't a factor in the Husky offense last season. Williams is a leaper who can really get up there and go for the ball. He has already opened more than a few eyes with some big time circus catches.
3. RB Bishop Sankey - After only a single day on the football field analysts are calling Sankey special. He is fast, shifty, and he knows how to get to the hole quickly. It is still early but I can see Bishop and Jessie Callier returning kick offs this season. Sankey should be able to assume the role that was meant for Deontae Cooper this season.
4. DT Danny Shelton - We knew Danny was good but we didn't expect him to contend for a starting job right away. Shelton is already getting reps with one's in anticipation of him playing early. Shelton is one of the strongest players on the team and he has exceptionally quick feet. Sark says that Potoae should be back by the end of the week and he thinks that Tokolahi isn't that far behind. In the meantime Thompson has been getting most of the reps inside with Shelton backing him up.
5. CB Marcus Peters - The Huskies struggled to find CB's in last years recruiting class. The one they did get has the ability to earn immediate playing time this season. If one of the starting CB's goes down Peters and Ducre are going to have to step into the lineup.
6. S James Sample - The Huskies are loaded at safety but they are still making room for Sample to play right away this season. Look for him to get the Sean Parker treatment this season which means plenty of time on special teams while he is groomed for an eventual starting job in the defensive backfield.
7. DT Taniela Tupou - Sark has given him the old call out over the first couple of days of practice. How much and if he plays this year depends on how well Tokolahi and Potoae come back from injuries. At the moment the coaches are getting him ready to play early if needed.
8. FB Dezden Petty - There is a major casting call going on at fullback this camp and Petty is the only scholarship player in the mix at this point which means he has a pretty good chance at seeing the field early. Once they put the pads on Saturday night we will have a pretty good idea of where he is going to fit.
9. WR Marvin Hall - Time is ticking for Marvin at the moment because he hasn't been cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse. Every day he spends on the sideline he falls farther behind. Hall could really make an impact as a return man. You have already heard ooohs and ahs about Bishop Sankey...this kid is just as electrifying with the ball in his hands.
10. LB Corey Waller - The coaches have designated Waller a rush end which happens to be the same position that Josh Shirley is playing. With that in mind he is Shirley's immediate backup which means he is in the mix for immediate playing time. Speed is one ingredient the coaches are always looking to add to special teams and Waller has it.
11. QB Derrick Brown - The plan is to red shirt Brown but if either of the kids ahead of him get dinged up they need to have him ready to play. All the reviews on Brown have been pretty good. it would have been nice to have had him here this past spring.