I've got the Brains. You've got the Dots. Let's make lots of money.
- Thoughts go out to Coach Don James as, according to a statement made by the University, he continues to be safe and resting comfortably at Virginia Mason after enduring two surgeries related to a gastrointestinal issue.
#UWHuskies has issued statement on former coach Don James. Says he has undergone 2 surgeries at Virginia Mason for gastro-intestinal issues— Tim Booth (@ByTimBooth) September 5, 2013
Before going in for his procedures, the Dawgfather talked a little Husky football history with KUOW (access the link for an article and the radio audio).
- Before moving on to Week 2 Saturday games, we can all take a moment and bask in the quickly dimming daylight that the win over Boise State shone upon our program. As impressive as that win was, the voting delegates who decide the power poll over at California Golden Blogs remain quite skeptical about the Huskies.
- Pacific Takes took a look around the P12 blogosphere in assessing whether or not the Huskies win over Boise State was an indicator of more success to come. The skeptics dominated the conversation ... clearly an indication that opposing fanbases were not all that impressed with UW's win last week.
- Speaking of "unimpressed" ... the Sagarin computer rankings came out a few days ago and UW comes in at 26 ... four spots behind Boise State ... after the first and only week of the season. Huh? Sagarin rankings are a computer-based ranking system that leverages a formulaic driven algorithm to process rankings. This is a strong reminder that any formulaic driven analytical process (including a lot of so-called "advanced metrics") are ultimately limited by the biases of those who originate the formula.
- Justin Wilcox, aka "Dr. Sunshine", was among those also not all that impressed in Week 1, per this Todd Dybas beat report.
- NFL Scouts were a little more impressed with UW and, specifically, Keith Price. He checked in at an elevated position in CBS's updated QB rankings (h/t to Adam Jude for finding the link).
- Some stats are otherwise self-evident. Football Study Hall has a few statistical notes from Week 1 including some interesting tidbits from the Boise State affair.
- Bill Connelly of SB Nation was a little more impressed with UW in his "The Numerical" run down column wrapping up last week. Pretty good read if you are a college football fan.
- The Pac-12 Network posted a weekly podcast that featured an interview by Mike Yam with our very own Keith Price. It's a bit of a long podcast, so access the link to get an overview of it's content.
- Speaking of KP17, Jerry Brewer has a nice piece on the relationship developing between Seahawk icon Russell Wilson and the UW QB.
A different UW... The one on the west coast! Rooting for my buddy Keith Price #17 http://t.co/WFPHZXjDjZ— Russell Wilson (@DangeRussWilson) September 1, 2013
- Our friends / competitors at the Husky Haul think that the return of a fully healthy Kevin Smith is a big bonus. We would agree.
- Congratulations, Big Dawg!
Today I was named captain of 2013 Tampa Buccaneers football team. This has to be one of my greatest achievements in all my years of playing.— Dashon Goldson (@thehawk38) September 5, 2013
- Ever wonder what a MLB the likes of former Husky Donald Butler is worth? How about roughly $9 mil a year. Thanks to DB for boosting the average post-graduation salary of UW grads. That should help nicely in next year's college rankings.
- Atlanta Falcons rookie CB Desmond Trufant is "on the hot seat" as he makes his NFL debut tomorrow. Let's all send a big WOOF out to the A-T-L.
- The Women's Soccer team played Friday night and we had this great tweet from Stine Schoening to commemorate gameday.
Happy Dawg Friday people. It's game day. pic.twitter.com/XNBKQr83qg— Stine Schoening (@stinescho) September 6, 2013
Unfortunately, the Lady Dawgs couldn't pull off the upset falling to #7 Wake Forest 1-0.
- The Men's Soccer team was much more impressive, blowing out the Pilots of Portland 4-1.
- An odd but interesting article came out of the News Tribune last week related to some free passes handed out to state lawmakers for the opening of Husky Stadium. The question to be answered is whether or not free tickets, food and drinks is an ethical gift to offer such luminaries.
- No sports in this one, but definitely worth a Dot: UW researchers have achieved a significant and unique scientific breakthrough. They have demonstrated the first non-invasive "brain to brain" interface. This stuff is straight out of Star Trek and only possible at the University of Washington. This promises to help me control my 9-year old in ways that I could have never previously had hoped.
Question of the Day
Are you watching football today? If so, what are you watching and who do you like? I'll be settling in for the South Carolina / Georgia game if for no other reason than to confirm my theory that Georgia was far over rated to start the season (and South Carolina perhaps slightly under rated). I'll also be glued to WSU / USC because that will be a good litmus test for both teams. Don't forget to check in on our open games thread. WOOF!