Gotta love a coach who wears pleated black slacks to a game.
When the dust settles and the man is standing over you, glaring down with a look of eager anticipation upon his countenance, you look that man straight in the eye and remember what your old friend Gekko does in a moment like this: tell him to eat s%$# and then kick him in the dots.
- Channeling his inner Gekko, Bob Condotta wrote about the young LB corps for the Huskies and their progress this year. With both Shaq Thompson and Travis Feeney finishing as honorable mention All-P12 and John Timu probably being the most important of the bunch, it is hard not to look at that situation (especially considering the grave concerns in the fall) and not think that the future looks very bright.
- Avinash does a nice job of tracking the Twitter-verse over at Pacific Takes. One of the questions that he "researched" was the likelihood of Justin Wilcox landing a HC job somewhere this offseason.
- Sarkisian had an impromptu with the press on Friday and answered a bunch of questions relating to topics such as the kicking game and offensive line depth. Here are TNT's notes on it. And here are Condotta's.
- Huskies recruiting has been kicked up a notch as we race into the holiday quiet period. The Huskies are clearly serious about D and they've been targeting some high profile national recruits. Pacific Takes has taken notice.
- The P12 had its first bowl game of the season with Arizona coming from way behind (twice) to squeak out a last second victory over the same Nevada team that got beat soundly by Boise State a few weeks ago. This was not a good showing for the P12. From the sparsely attended stadium, to the sideline brawl between Wildcat players, to the horrible defense that surrendered over 400 yards rushing, to the fact that they needed an onside kick to find a way to win it ... thrilling, but not exactly the image we want to leave with the nation. I still can't believe that this same Arizona team crushed us.
- In case you haven't heard, Boise State is our opponent for the Las Vegas Bowl on Saturday. According to Dennis Dodd, BSU has the whole fate of the Big East in the big blue hands.
Brett Nottingham, who started out the fall as the slight favorite to win the Stanford QB job, is set to transfer after getting passed up on the depth chart by Kevin Hogan. Somebody is going to get an excellent QB.
- A Coug was arrested this weekend for, well, being a Coug.
- Former Peyton Manning whisperer, Tom Moore, says that the "sky is the limit" for Jake Locker. Jake and the Titans will be in primetime tonight against the New York Jets.
- The Men's BBall team won a stinker of a game versus Jackson State over the weekend. Dybas says the final score was the only real highlight of the game.
- The Ladies also won, but in much more convincing fashion. The Ladies play this thing called Defense.
- Could Joshua Smith be looking to make a transfer to Washington? I haven't followed the buzz on this, but if there is any coach out there that could turn around the Smith situation, Lorenzo Romar is that guy. Coupled with how close those two were during the recruiting process, I can't say that this doesn't make sense.
- Finally, in non-sports news, the Daily of the UW has decided to address apparent short-comings in the English language. I'm sorry, but with all the heavy duty stuff that we have to deal with in this world (Newtown, Fiscal Cliffs, EU meltdowns, assassination attempts on Senators), this seems like a petty topic to waste print on. By the way, when did UW open up "gender neutral" restrooms?