Steven Bisig-US PRESSWIRE
Bowl eligibility, black unis, red white and blue, scoring more than 21 points, wins, winning not ugly, solid defense, Keith Price is Keith Price. Nice job, Huskies.
The Dawgs got bowl eligible, and with games against Colorado, who can't stop anybody, and WSU, who is becoming more and more a mess each week, an 8-4 regular season is now the expectation. The program will go to it's third straight bowl as a result. The W-L record year by year shows progress, and the roster says that that should continue into the future. It's a fun time to be a Husky fan, after it being a miserable time for so long. To the bullet holes:
- Let's just change the school colors to Black, Purple and Gold. [/SARCASM!]
- The biggest thing to take from the game was the play of Keith Price. He went back to playing what Steve Sarkisian has called "Keith Price football" and the offense around him looked as good as it's been against any FBS opponent. He (for the most part) hit his open guys, made good decisions and made some plays with his legs.
- The offensive line play continues to improve, seemingly with the exception of Hatchie as a pass protector. If he doesn't take a big step, I would almost hope he loses his starting spot this offseason, because they have got to find a left tackle who isn't a turnstile.
- The penalties. If you want to blame Steve Sarkisian I don't know what to tell you. I have no clue what's going on there, or why it seems like whenever the Huskies defend a punt well they get flagged for kick catch interference. Remember last year's Nebraska game? You literally can't coach it better than UW is playing them sometimes, and it's not getting called both ways. And then a bogus personal foul on a play that should have gotten UW's defense off the field turns into 8 points for Utah. On top of that, the Pac-12 Network is really bad about showing replays on those plays, and you kind of have to wonder if it's because they're protecting their pathetic referees. It's exhausting.
- Bishop Sankey is every bit the lead back he was supposed to become coming out of high school.
- John Timu had a really nice game, with an interception and a big tackle on 4th down to give the Huskies the ball to eventually go up 21-8. It seems like he's been around forever, but remember that he's just a sophomore. He's going to end up with a really nice career when the dust settles.
- The play of UW's secondary was good all game. Travis Wilson game them help, but they were pretty much right where they needed to be, when they needed to be there. Utah put up just 55 yards through the air.
- No more Century Link. It was a good rental (5-1), but will be nice to get home.
- The hat is 3-0. Burn the visor.
- Defense held Utah to 188 total yards. <3 u, Justin Wilcox.
- John White went over 100 yards and Utah lost, even though they were something like 174-0 when he does that, which just goes to show you that sometimes, stats are just numbers that don't carry any more meaning than people give them.
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins has already re-written the TE record book. Enjoy him, because he is a treat, and probably a once in a generation type talent.