Otto Greule Jr - Getty Images
Looking ahead to a Dawgs and Ducks weekend.
He didn't mean to do it. The Dots just looked so damn good. The fifth of whisky that had just recently graced his gullet didn't help. Under the circumstances, who wouldn't have?
- The red-hot ladies Volleyball team is now #2 in the nation.
- Catching up on a little basketball - Lorenzo Romar wrapped up a huge recruiting weekend that included current commit Nigel Williams-Goss and Aaron Gordon. Unfortunately, no new commits came through.
- The second left shoulder separation for Jake Locker in three weeks has the Titans worried that he might need surgery.
- The Huskies are the National Team of the Week. Do we get a prize?
- The Huskies Football team, as well as some other Pac 12 programs, get some serious love in Andy Staples' weekly power rankings.
- The Daily News is still ruminating on the glow of the Husky Victory from last week calling it "one for the ages"
- The analytical folks at the Football Study Hall (a great SB Nation site to bookmark) take a look at "the Key Drive" from the UW / Stanford game. I'll give you three guesses on which drive that might be.
- Bob Condotta posts his semi-regular "Q&A" with the beat writer of our weekly opponent - in this case, the Oregonian's Paul Buker and Adam Jude. Here is the Oregon side of the piece. And the Washington side.
- Here is the AP preview of upcoming Oregon / Washington game. Nothing terribly mind-blowing, but always nice to see the "fair and balanced" point of view on these types of rivalry matches.
- SB Nation says that the Huskies need to condition for the Oregon Ducks' speed. Shocking insight, there.
- We've heard Chip Kelly talk about the fact that rivalries are meaningless to him and we've had a few Duckers come through here and talk about the fact that the younger generations have no sense of the history of the rivalry due to eight straight years of dominance. Someone forgot to get the message to Marcus Mariota.
Mariota on his first UW game: "You've got to represent your school. You can't put more on the game, but you know deep down it's a big game."— Rob Moseley (@DuckFootball) October 2, 2012
- Condotta posted this video interview with Justin Wilcox who, given his Oregon roots and the importance of his defense in this week's match, will be a hot topic all week.
- Oregon beat writer Rob Mosely covers Chip Kelly's press conference. There is a video embedded in the post and it is worth a watch. Of particular interest to me was Kelly debunking the myth spreading around Oregon circles that UW lacks size or athleticism on the defensive side of the ball. He calls out one guy in particular (hint: Kelly recruited this young man very intensely).
- The Huskies show up twice in Kevin Gemmell's "Best Game of October?" poll. Go vote.
- The Husky D stands out in Ted Miller's weekly Stats Attack piece ranking in the top 25 nationally. I only post it here because, well, we play Oregon this week and I may not get a chance to link this again for the rest of the year. Eons from now, some anthropologist will stumble upon this link and record for the history books that the Husky D must have been pretty good.
- Mason Kelley has his weekly ranking of his Top 10 Dawgs ($). We have a new number one this week.